Patrinely Group is a vertically integrated, national real estate firm with a proven 37-year track record specializing in investment, development, leasing, and management of large-scale, Class A, mixed-use, office, multifamily, and industrial properties in major North American markets. Patrinely Group has prospered from a core focus on commercial office, mixed-use, industrial and multifamily projects. Since 1983, the company has completed 21 million square feet of development amounting to $10 billion in total transactions. Patrinely Group, headquartered in Houston, is guided by Dean Patrinely, Managing Principal, and Robert Fields, President/CEO. They are judicious in the selection of projects and investments and come to the table with capital, enabling a customized, nimble approach to creating value.
PATRINELY GROUP FOOT PRINT
Patrinely Group pursues development and acquisition opportunities that provide for the prospect of long-term cash flow growth and capital appreciation.
Patrinely Group provides oversight of all phases of the acquisition and development process, from due diligence and feasibility planning to project closeout. From ground-up construction to build-to-suit to complex renovations, Patrinely Group plans to leverage its legacy success with other asset classes in the development of data centers. Patrinely Group’s development management methodology engages the client and design and builder teams in a collaborative format, providing a forum for an open-book, synergistic exchange of design ideas, early construction cost estimates, construction, and operations knowledge.
On an individual basis, Patrinely Group researches, creates and then implements marketing strategies customized to enhance an asset’s position in the marketplace and maximize its long-term value. Marketing, financial, operational and construction aspects are fully integrated into each of the marketing plans to provide seamless local sponsorship for the owner.
Patrinely Group operates hand in glove with its clients to optimize their goals and objectives. The client’s specific needs provide the framework for the company to develop a customized plan for each property. By bringing all of its disciplines and expertise together, Patrinely Group is able to seamlessly deliver an elite level of property management service to achieve the client’s strategic goals and business plan with respect to an asset.
Patrinely Group is uniquely structured to offer in house investment strategy, development, and property management with strategically aligned investment sponsors/partners. They pursue development and acquisition opportunities that provide for the prospect of long-term cash flow growth and capital appreciation.
DATA CENTER DEVELOPMENT STRATEGY
Patrinely Group, together with their 30+ year capital partner, USAA Real Estate have identified the data center infrastructure market as a sustainably high investor rate of return (IRR) asset class. Given the company’s extensive execution abilities for virtually all product types, this combined team offers best-in-class services from a data center development, a fiduciary, and investor perspective.
With capital support from key financial partners and investors, the Patrinely Group has identified two initial developments with plans for additional expansion –
- 5 building master planned development (currently in design and planning stage) to be built in multiple phases on a 130-acre site in Prince William County, VA, which at full build out will include up to 2M+ sq ft of data center construction and 300MW of critical power from an on-site substation.
- Evaluating second land acquisition totaling 180 acres in the southern US with zoning that would allow up to 2M sq ft of development and 300MW of available power from two nearby existing substations.
*Further details available following the execution of a mutual NDA.
PATRINELY GROUP LEADERSHIP TEAM
Patrinely Group entities serve as general partner/sponsor of several real estate private equity funds each with a specific focus.
Patrinely Group has partnered with USAA Real Estate and two private equity firms with remarkable credentials and relationship value to realize their collective vision of value creation in the data center asset class. In the last 34 years, Patrinely Group has partnered with USAA on 54 opportunities.
Patrinely Group’s culture embodies both start-up entrepreneurialism and institutional knowledge and capabilities. The Company is mission-focused on collegial, believing strongly in affording dignity and decency to all stakeholders while appreciating that accountability is a requisite component of leading a workplace rooted in justice.
COMPANY MATERIALS & NEWS
September 2020 – Patrinely Group expands real estate operations in Western U.S.
June 2020 – Block 162 Tops Out in Downtown Denver
May 2020 – Patrinely, USAA Break Ground on Austin BTS
April 2019 – HP Plaza Office Campus Sells
October 2018 – Patrinely Group to Develop Hewlett Packard Enterprise Campus
January 2017 – 32-story downtown Denver office project moves forward
February 2016 – Patrinely joins USAA to bring 32-story tower to downtown
SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT OF DEVELOPMENT
Patrinely Group’s Senior Vice President of Development (SVPD) will report to Robert Fields, CEO, and carry accountability for the program management, definition, and execution of data center construction and build-to-suit engagements. The company’s development plans are rooted in a clear, executable, organizational road map leveraging efficiencies in project scale as well as means and methods. The SVPD will have daily oversight and management of multiple, concurrent, geographically dispersed wholesale data center projects, large colocation, and build-to-suit developments. This role will be the data center thought-leadership center of the company regarding capital planning, design, construction, and operational performance. He/She will be the primary interface between Patrinely Group and its design, construction, and contractor/sub-contractor partners to provide overall management of the construction and execution of data center facilities across NA at a program level.
The SVPD will participate in the yearly budgeting processes, collect and refine project-specific budgets, and to present and communicate this information to the Executive Leadership of the Company. The position requires a data-driven mindset accompanied by strong customer-presentation skills, fundamental understanding of data center design, real estate transactions, contractual review, construction planning and oversight, A&E, contractor management, and related procurement.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITES
The Senior Vice President Development (SVPD) will lead Data Center Construction Delivery in the execution of active and future construction projects. The SVPD will supervise and manage third party design and construction teams to drive best-in-industry results around the three measurement pillars of quality, cost, and schedule. In short:
- Program Management – Shape and implement multiple, concurrent, geographically dispersed, large scale data center construction management execution plans.
- Construction Management Leadership – Build and manage world-class data center construction teams including oversight of the Company’s team of 3-6 Project Managers
- Design – thought leadership and evangelism of global, progressive, lean, clean, and efficient design, construction, management, and operational techniques.
- Build-to-Suit support – Executive presence with customers alongside the Company’s other team members selling build-to-suit solutions to the top-20 NA data center tenants.
- Marketing – leadership, management, and governance as senior voice with customers related to engineering approaches to data centers – “Make things happen”
- Procurement – lead discussions related to effective construction planning and forecasted supply chain management issues to ensure on time of delivery of required products and services to project sites, nationally.
- Process and Project Improvement – continuously strive to reduce cycle times, improve quality and lower cost
Success will be initially measured by progress on active projects, but ultimately reflected in number of datacenters delivered on schedule and budget fulfilling the business strategy and plan.
- Direct execution planning of large, geographically dispersed, national data center construction projects
- Build & manage world-class project management and delivery teams, internally and externally. Recruit, lead, manage, and coach project teams to deliver outcomes in accordance to agreed-upon strategic objectives in each key geography
- Team – Source, engage, and replace (where necessary) internal and external project participants to execute multiple concurrent projects, on budget, and on time.
- Own accountability for on schedule delivery and financial outcomes of active projects
- Manage to appropriate project outcomes, metrics, data collection and reporting in conjunction with the executive team, develop & present requests for capital resources
- Participate actively in effective governance, policies, and decision-making
- Drive and demand safe environments on jobsites for all employees, staff, and trades
- Direct Project Execution Planning process for project implementation across key geographies, subject matter experts, and other stakeholders
- Develop and communicate project plans with clear targets, measurable outcomes, and likelihood of successful implementation
- Develop and maintain metrics, presentations and reports demonstrating execution progress of projects
- Partners – Develop and maintain productive relationships with implementation partners, operations, security, authorities having jurisdiction, and corporate leadership in host countries
- Advisors: Build and consult with a strong advisory group including policy and subject matter experts, thought leaders, and drivers of change
- In conjunction with the executive team, develop capital requests, commit & spend plans adequate for project implementation
- Hold project participants accountable for timely accomplishment of deliverables, provide guidance, ensure corrective actions are taken, monitor metrics, and report progress
- Focus on continuous improvement; develop measurable targets, verifiable milestones and catalytic results. Improve time to market
- Support development of strong overall management processes and corporate decision-making to ensure and enhance overall corporate governance
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- 12+ years of successful, executive level data center construction project and program management on a national scale, demonstrating leading edge lean practices and financial accountability, in a hyper growth environment.
- Multiple $100M – $2B+ data center construction program deployment experience
- Entrepreneurial leader with ability to thrive in highly dynamic, fast-paced international environment
- Experienced execution planner with exceptional people and project management skills
- Able to lead diverse groups of staff and contractors in multiple cultures, geographies, and governances
- Execution in a dynamic environment requiring flexibility, collaboration, and industry engagement
- Knowledge of commercial and industrial construction, mission critical environments (N+)
- Proven experience in safety leadership
- Diverse knowledge of multiple contract methodologies and construction practices
- Supply chain knowledge, particularly synchronization and coordination of owner furnished, contractor installed equipment
- Comfort with modern controls, scheduling practices, Virtual Design and Construction
- Demonstrated experience with Commissioning practices and QA/QC practices
- Excellent written and oral communicator. Able to communicate complex execution strategy and plans clearly to internal and external stakeholders
- Expert use of MS Office, PowerPoint, MSProject, SharePoint, other Internet/PC-based applications along with a working knowledge of a variety of Construction Software applications
- Bachelor’s degree required, relevant advanced degree or certification preferred
KEY QUALIFYING CRITERIA
Scope – Assessment of the breadth of data center real estate designed, built, and managed. Project list reflecting the total number, size (sq ft / MW), different designs for specific intent, and geographic diversity will be requested.
Investment Environment – History working in an investment decision making environment with board level accountability for planning, presentation of performance relative to plan, and business case scenario justification.
Capital Planning – Leadership of data center real estate due diligence, risk, value, IRR, and ROI determination relative to the intent and interest of the investment thesis.
Growth – Demonstrated history of involvement of leadership and entrepreneurial ambition through a significant organizational growth chapter.
Commercial Acumen – Extent of accountability for customer engagement and leasing revenue performance reflected in KPI’s, retention, improved NPS, and churn reduction metrics.
Portfolio Management – Oversight of effective and optimized utilization of multiple, diverse, geographically dispersed assets under a single platform management entity.
Personnel – Oversight of internal and outsourced teams led across geographically dispersed assets and contracted management environments.
Delivery – Demonstrated mastery of accurate budget and schedule creation and presentation of performance relative to plans leading to a track record of delivering complex data center projects on-time and on-budget.
Executive Leadership – Demonstrated history of corporate and organizational business leadership contributions positively affecting increased corporate valuations.
WHY CONSIDER THIS OPPORTUNITY WITH PATRINELY GROUP?
Track Record – Patrinely Group is proud to share they have a 100% track record of delivering projects on time and budget. This is extraordinary given they are the architect of very complex financial partnerships created to achieve first of its kind endeavors.
Secret Sauce – Patrinely Group creates and maintains relationships and projects with a deft, nimble and exacting level of execution while displaying an integrity and resourcefulness across the organization that is second to none.
Financial Strength – The Patrinely Group’s financial position to fund unrelenting growth is unparalleled. They are enthusiastic and committed to a shared vision of creating a significant and scalable North American data center platform.
Culture – Patrinely Group’s culture embodies both start-up entrepreneurialism and institutional knowledge and capabilities. The Company is mission-focused and collegial, believing strongly in affording dignity and decency to all stakeholders.
Impact – From day one, the SVPD will be relied upon to make decisions that meaningfully impact how the Company’s data center assets and portfolio are manifest, their profitability, their performance and growth relative to plan, and the resulting portfolio valuation.
Leadership – Patrinely Group’s executive leadership team’s track record of success in legacy markets and entering new business / market segments speaks for itself. The whole of the team keenly enjoys solving challenges and exceeding growth and performance return expectations.
Focus – Patrinely Group’s ability to focus on and achieve short term goals has been recognized and rewarded repeatedly with empowering partnerships that create leverage for all parties involved. The goal is to remain nimble, scalable, and quick to respond, but at scale.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
The compensation package will be determined relative to the final candidate’s current circumstance and specific requirements. The package is expected to include a competitive base salary, annual performance compensation, long term incentive compensation, and extensive benefit program.
Following a thorough exchange of information relating to company information, resume, and key qualifying criteria, CFS Partners anticipates recommending a short list of candidates to Robert Fields, President & CEO of Patrinely Group in late October and early November 2020. Finalists will meet with the Executive Leadership team and select members of their extensive investment constituency. The selected finalist will be presented with a compelling and competitive offer contingent on background check and thorough references.