Founded in 1982, Suffolk is a national enterprise that invests, innovates, and builds. Suffolk’s vision is to “prove impossible wrong” by always challenging the norm and pushing the boundaries of what is possible “because we believe if there’s a better way, we’ll find it.” At Suffolk, to constantly innovate is a pledge and promise we make to our clients, partners and communities. We are an end-to-end business that provides value throughout the entire project lifecycle by leveraging our core construction management services with vertical service lines that include real estate capital investment, design, self-perform construction services, technology start-up investment and innovation research/development.
Suffolk is a national company with $4.5 billion in annual revenue, 2,400 employees and main offices in Boston (headquarters), New York, Miami, West Palm Beach, Tampa, Estero, Dallas, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and San Diego. Suffolk serves clients in every major industry sector, including healthcare, science and technology, education, gaming, transportation/aviation, and commercial. Suffolk is privately held and is led by founder, chairman and CEO John Fish. Suffolk is ranked #23 on the Engineering News Record list of “Top 400 Contractors.”
Suffolk Construction has identified the Mission Critical marketplace as an attractive vertical sector which algns with their corporate resources and strategic growth tenets. With almost 4 decades experience identifying and growing healthy market sectors, Suffolk’s leadership is eager to take their precedent success and apply it to create more supply for the ever increasing demands of digital infrastructure capacity. Suffolk already serves related verticals and geographies which transfer efficiently to the mission critical market. Suffolk has had success building smaller data center projects with F500 enterprises and telecommunications clients and see a great opportunity for a market leader to leverage and extend this early success and reference ability.
SUFFOLK COMPANY LOCATIONS
HIGHLIGHTED PROJECTS AND VALUES
SUFFOLK SAFETY – IT’S PERSONAL
Millennium Tower – Residential
Suffolk built the 60-story Millennium Tower, an impressive addition to the Boston skyline that includes luxury apartments, condominiums, an extensive retail component, and parking. Millennium Tower is the tallest residential building in Boston.
Studies have shown that construction workers are more productive and efficient when they feel safer on a project site. The innovative Lightweight Protection System (LPS) or “cocoon” installed on Suffolk’s 60-story Millennium Tower project in Boston was an important factor in our innovative safety approach on that project. The LPS envelops large exterior sections of the building to ensure that workers, tools and equipment do not fall over the side during construction. The LPS is slotted into a rail system that allows the massive panels to rise with the increasing height of the building as floors are added during construction. The mesh design also allows natural light to illuminate work areas while protecting workers from the elements. Our personal approach to safety combined with our commitment to the latest innovations help our team members feel safer because they are safer. And you just cannot put a price on peace of mind.
TWO MILES AT A TIME
MiamiCentral – Aviation & Transportation
The All Aboard Florida Miami Terminal will consist of a 59,000 square-foot station facility, a 41,000 square-foot loading area, a 180,000 square-foot passenger platform, 178,000 square feet of retail space, and 344,000 square feet of parking with 800 spaces.The Miami Terminal will be the southernmost stop for the express passenger rail service that will run from Orlando to Miami in just under three hours.
Suffolk Vice President John Planz confronts his greatest challenges, both personal and professional, in the same way — with discipline, passion and a dogged focus on his goal. That sensible and smart approach helps him meet even his most ambitious, and seemingly impossible, goals. But most importantly, it leads to a more predictable and pleasurable journey along the way. And John knows better than most that the smoothness of the ride is just as important as, if not more important than, the joy of reaching your final destination.
CHANGING THE GAME – INNOVATION
340 Freemont – Residential
San Francisco, CA
340 Fremont is envisioned as a sustainable, high-density 348-unit residence consisting of a 41-story tower over an eight-story base. The building includes generous amenities in a nine-story podium, including a fitness center, yoga room, owner’s lounge, business center, game room, and pet grooming area. The project also includes three levels of below-grade parking.
By pushing the envelope on the traditional virtual modeling approach and coordinating multiple drawings and models into one federated model, Frank Haase and the Suffolk project team are able to thoroughly plan out projects with hyper-accuracy and exactness, allowing for a more seamless and predictable construction process with minimal mistakes or “do overs.”
SUFFOLK LEADERSHIP TEAM
Mission Critical Practice Leader
Suffolk Capital, an affiliate of Suffolk Construction, is an investment vehicle created to partner with real estate developers. Suffolk Capital invests in select projects across the country that can meet the organization’s targeted investor returns.
Leveraging Suffolk’s unique expertise and position in the industry, Suffolk Capital’s mission is to assist developers in their pre-construction raising of capital and pre-development process. We partner with and invest in developers who have a proven track record of success within specific real estate asset classes and geographic markets.
With support from Suffolk’s industry-leading estimating and “plan and control” teams, and by investing side-by-side with developers at the general partner level, Suffolk Capital provides value by cultivating a de-risked development process that offers greater predictability and budget certainty, increased profitability and surety of execution for all stakeholders.
Process and Benefits
Suffolk Capital’s decisions are made by an independent, seasoned Investment Committee using a multi-disciplined, systematic evaluation process:
- Capital is made available to best-in-class operators, developers and real estate sponsors that have superior management, strong track records, local market expertise, the highest levels of integrity and unique projects.
- For eligible deals, Suffolk Capital will invest at the developer GP level to fund identified pre-development and development costs.
- Suffolk Capital provides strategic value to partners that results in a clear, disciplined and efficient development plan and budget. Because we enter the value creation chain early, Suffolk Capital is able to improve feasibility and introduce developers to more efficient, less expensive construction approaches that maximize overall developer profit.
- Suffolk Capital supports projects throughout the development process including providing access to its vast network of real estate industry resources and expertise to further enhance execution.
Developers benefit from:
- Aligned interests, including early access to Suffolk’s pre-development expertise
- Efficient earlier-stage access to capital Certainty of Close
- Potential to grow into a programmatic relationship
Commitment to the Community – Suffolk Cares
While Suffolk’s culture is consistent and strong throughout our entire organization, each Suffolk office has a unique vibe and diverse people who are passionate about their city and excited to work together on projects and in their local communities.
Giving back is in our DNA. It’s who we are and what we do. Caring for others is practically a prerequisite for being a member of our Suffolk family. While it’s important that we provide financial support to causes that are close to our hearts, we also believe that caring is about more than just writing checks. Caring is also about volunteering your time, and sharing your skills and expertise. It’s about going the extra mile to put a smile on the face of someone you may never have met before. It’s about taking care of your own. And it’s about committing yourself to a cause that is greater than yourself.
The Suffolk Cares Foundation supports organizations and initiatives that address the greatest challenges facing our neighborhoods. We empower young people by providing them cutting-edge educational experiences and STEM education opportunities that inspire them to become lifelong learners and develop skills for the workforce of tomorrow. We build healthy communities by supporting healthcare and social services organizations that are transforming neighborhoods into thriving, vibrant communities. And we leverage sophisticated technologies and Suffolk resources to encourage community partners to dream big and accomplish their ambitious goals. We are committed to helping communities prove impossible wrong every day to achieve a brighter future.
The Giving Circle is an employee-driven nonprofit dedicated to supporting our Suffolk family and “extended family” in times of great need. Funded by employee payroll deductions and generous sponsorship dollars, The Giving Circle offsets the costs of medical crises, catastrophic natural events and home emergencies when unexpected tragedy strikes our colleagues and friends.
Volunteering – We are passionate about getting our hands dirty in our communities and helping others through the spirit of volunteerism. We believe our time and engagement in the community are the greatest gifts we can offer people in need, so Suffolk volunteers from every region and level of our organization contribute their valuable time, expertise and enthusiasm to important causes that help bolster our local communities and neighborhoods.
September 2020 – 3Q Tech Report: New Ideas for a Strange Era
February 2020 – Suffolk Expands Beyond Construction Management
- Boston-based contractor adds push in development, technology
September 2019 – Data transformation starts at the C-level
June 2019 – John Fish and transforming a construction giant
- As CEO of Suffolk, John Fish leads one of the biggest players in the booming construction industry in Boston.
April 2019 – Meet Your Suffolk Team
April 2018 – Unrelenting Inventing
- We believe in the power of innovation. We’re committed to building and reinforcing a culture of invention and curiosity at Suffolk. We empower our people to challenge the status quo, think differently and push the boundaries of what is possible. Because we know the best ideas come from the best and most curious people — people with the freedom to explore and experiment with new ideas. And achieve big dreams. In the end, we know it is this strong culture of innovation and shared mindset that allow us to constantly ‘innovate on the edge’ and redefine what it means to be a builder.
June 2015 – We Are Suffolk
- Our vision is to “transform the construction industry by building smart.” Because we believe if there’s a better way, we’ll find it. We’re always challenging the norm and pushing the boundaries of what is possible. At Suffolk, to constantly innovate is a pledge and promise we make to our clients, partners and communities. And ourselves. Building smart is in our soul. It’s who we are and how we work. And it’s an approach that is transforming the construction experience. One project at a time. We’re talking about a revolution here. Join us.
MISSION CRITICAL CENTER OF EXCELLENCE PRACTICE LEADER
The Mission Critical Center Of Excellence (COE) Practice Leader (MCPL) will focus on the development of best practices for building data centers and mission critical facilities. Responsible nationally for developing Suffolk’s mission critical construction platform dedicated to helping companies better their infrastructure to integrate into the backbone of our technology dependent society. The MCPL will be an industry veteran and thought leader focused on evolving the delivery of data centers through a solutions oriented approach and advocating for innovation and collaborative project management . The MCPL will work extensively with clients to transform deployment programs that provide agility for unknown future requirements as well as the creation of adaptive reuse programs for legacy facilities.
The MCPL will leverage his/her expertise in contributing to the collective vision shared by COE colleagues and the executive team. He/She will reimagine the design and development of construction solutions that meet the rapidly evolving and ever-changing definitions and demands of data center infrastructure. The company is poised for a seasoned executive to step in and synthesize the design, financing, procurement, product, sales, and operational inputs into a progressive and efficient practice delivery platform.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITES
The MCPL will contribute his/her strategic inputs to Suffolk’s direction overseeing managing the Design, Construction, and Sustainability of all Suffolk data center construction projects to include –
- Lead design and construction teams to ensure seamless delivery of customer’s required inventory
- Coordinate and plan supply chain activities, including management of major vendor relationships
- Provide thought leadership as Suffolk evolves its product delivery to meet changing market demands
- Participate with the executive team to continuously support new revenue growth requirements. Develop plans and strategies aligned with revenue goals and keeping pipeline ahead of projected target requirements.
- Develop and implement design and construction best practices; incorporate operating standards into security and operations practices.
- Identify process improvement and cost savings, evaluate, implement, and resolve as needed.
- Lead and be held accountable for the Design and Construction performance against plan
- Develop budgeting strategies in collaboration with sales, operations, and other executive requirements to align inventory availability with variance reports.
- Manage and positively influence key customer relationships, vendors, and partners in the design, build, procurement, commissioning, and turnover to operations ecosystem.
- Oversight and accountability for preparing, presenting, negotiating, and delivering to appropriately risk managed contractual obligations.
- Contribute to short and long-term organizational planning and strategy as a member of the management team
- Interface and align with corporate and local operations personnel to ensure appropriate design of customer solutions and to guarantee the quality of service delivery
- Provide input into the annual budgeting and planning process for the organization’ budget
- Continually seek industry and market information to provide Suffolk with the information necessary for successful business development.
- Evaluate solution alternatives to improve facility performance and cost structure
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
The MCPL is expected to be a data center subject matter expert, respected thought leader, and astute business executive. Executive characteristic and communication demands include –
- Explain via business case presentation the relevancy of information to executive and board level individuals
- Plan, organize, and implement major projects. Perceive and identify issues in advance of critical problems developing. Perform well under crisis management
- Negotiate effectively and command the respect of markets and vendors
- Understand and implement preventive and predictive maintenance procedures
- Exceptional analytical and decision-making skills required for understanding and evaluating complex problems, including analyzing, identifying, and selecting the best solution
- Strong understanding of data center design and how it impacts SLA agreements
- Financial acumen including the ability to create and understand budgets, financial analysis, and invoicing
- Able to prioritize work based on business and customer demands, articulate concepts and ideas to a non-technical audience, and lead customer-requested business reviews and audits
Experience and competency requirements include –
- Undergraduate degree in Engineering, Construction Management, or Architecture preferred. Demonstrated advanced and/or continuing education a plus
- 10+ years’ experience in construction management with at least 5 years specifically related to mission critical construction management
- Expert in design characteristics, installation, and operation of all major infrastructure systems involved in both data center and base building operations including electrical, mechanical, life safety, controls and security.
- Responsible attitude, ability to take initiative and ownership and to adapt in a fast-paced environment.
- Technical product knowledge in electrical and mechanical systems, building systems (BIM), DCIM, controls, contracts, and project management.
- Proficiency with AutoCAD, Microsoft Project, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and web hosted programs used in the construction industry
- Requires national travel on a routine basis
KEY QUALIFYING CRITERIA
Data Center Design & Construction – Evaluate the breadth and complexity of data center environments designed and built –
- Provide examples of the different designs you’ve been involved with. What is your philosophy on where design is headed? What’s the roadmap?
- Project list of data centers constructed. Ideally, the list reflects a breadth of topologies in terms of size, locations, complexities, and customers
- Track record of delivering product on schedule and budget
- Demonstrated command of the design build contract theatre of engineers, contractors, suppliers, labor, safety, security, audit, and public / municipal authorities
Business Acumen – Growth oriented commercial disposition with innovative thought leadership and nuanced understanding of P&L, human capital leverage, resource allocation, and technology utilization leading to realized efficiencies and increasing profitability.
Financial Acumen – Keen understanding of program and budget management in order to deliver profitable projects leading to successful practice foundations in preparation for substantial growth.
Executive Leadership – Demonstrated history of leading a team to consistently perform at or above plan. Demonstrated professional growth and progression of talent from historical team members.
Culture – Alignment of core values with Suffolk’s vision, mission, and guiding principles to contribute, innovate, positively challenge, and ultimately prove impossible wrong.
WHY CONSIDER THIS OPPORTUNITY WITH SUFFOLK?
Charter – Suffolk’s growth directive is to create a nationally competitive Mission Critical Center of Excellence to address the most challenging digital infrastructure growtn solutions for the world’s most significant and demanding organizations.
History – The Mission Critical Practice will extend 40 years of Suffolk’s credentialed success growing the business responsibly into new market sectors to either serve existing customers or bring their formidable resources to solve hard problems for new customers.
Timing – Social and economic fundamentals driving data center infrastructure demand are unprecedented and forecasted to continue unabated for an unforeseen period.
Team – Suffolk’s executive leadership is comprised of the most credentialed, talented, and ambitious midsets who are eager to build on their remarkable success and credentials.
Culture – It’s rare to find a culture that more overtly states it’s pride in people and empowers them to challenge and change the status quo in the interest of progress. Suffolk’s non-hierarchical and ambitious environment embraces every colleague’s intellectual contributions.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
The compensation package will be determined relative to the final candidate’s current circumstance and specific requirements. The package is expected to include a competitive base salary, annual performance compensation, and an extensive benefit program. Suffolk offers a full range of flexible benefit plans, paid time off and other perks to help recharge batteries and achieve work-life balance in order to be more fulfilled inside and outside the office.
Suffolk is committed to building and leveraging a diverse and inclusive workforce. A workforce where all individuals are supported, respected, connected and valued. Suffolk embraces differences by recognizing the benefits diversity and inclusion bring to business and community. Suffolk works to attract and promote talented people from all backgrounds to create an educated, safe workplace with a strong sense of caring and unity.
Following a thorough exchange of information relating to company information, resume, and key qualifying criteria, CFS Partners anticipates recommending a shortlist of candidates to Jackie Lewis, VP Talent Acquisition, and Ann Klee, Executive Vice President Business Development, in Mid October 2020. Finalists will meet with Jeff Gouveia, President Northeast and General Manager of Boston, and John Fish, Chairman & Chief Executive Officer, as well as other members of Suffolks senior leadership team. The selected finalist will be presented with a compelling and competitive offer contingent on background check and thorough references.