DC BLOX COMPANY OVERVIEW
DC BLOX vision is simple. Serve Locally, Connect Globally – Our mission is to empower growing communities with the digital infrastructure required to thrive in the digital economy. We do this by developing and operating secure, reliable tier III data centers, a robust connectivity ecosystem, and dark fiber solutions to businesses in growing markets in the Southeast US.
The rapid business growth in the Southeastern US, the massive increase in the production of data, and the desire of hyperscale cloud providers, technology companies, and content providers to deploy infrastructure closer to their consumers in the region is driving massive investments to expand digital infrastructure. The accelerating scale of digital communications and the need for richer user experiences in accessing content is driving demand for data center capacity across the region, with Atlanta alone expecting over 1 gigawatt of absorption over the next 10 years.
With its capabilities to fund, build and manage data centers and dark fiber networks across the region, DC BLOX is in an excellent position to capitalize on these compelling industry opportunities.
DC BLOX understands that businesses are facing increasing challenges that will have a profound impact on their ability to compete and grow in their markets. Key business challenges include:
- Digital transformation is changing the way businesses operate and deliver services, requiring an ability to connect customers to infrastructure in their markets and across the globe.
- The paradigms of IT infrastructure are radically shifting. The cloud, SaaS, and virtualization require businesses to increase their agility to shift to the speed of business today.
- New physical and network infrastructure is needed, and businesses must work with state and local governments to build that infrastructure and to develop the workforce and culture to grow their tech economies.
- DC BLOX exists to provide foundational infrastructure for the digital economy, focused on serving growing markets where secure, reliable multi-tenant data centers is limited.
“We serve local markets by meeting business’ local and regional data center needs with Tier 3-rated facilities that are secure, reliable and cost-efficient and with the expertise that allows them to focus their own resources strategically. Beyond that, DC BLOX enables the local communities in the places where it does business. We’re investing capital for data center construction, providing jobs and strengthening the local economy. We’re offering our resources and facilities to local organizations to enable training, collaboration and education.” – Jeff Uphues, CEO
MAP OF CURRENT AND FUTURE LOCATIONS
Current DC BLOX data center locations are in Atlanta, GA, Chattanooga, TN, Huntsville, AL, Birmingham, AL, Greenville, SC and our most recently completed Cable Landing Station and data center campus located in Myrtle Beach, SC. There are several others in various planning phases with major announcements expected soon.
TIER III COLOCATION DATA CENTERS ACROSS THE SOUTHEASTERN, US
Atlanta, GA – https://www.dcblox.com/data-centers/atlanta/
Located in the Brookhaven area, DC BLOX’s Atlanta data center delivers safe, convenient access for telecommunications, media and technology companies. Just 1MS away from Digital Realty’s ATL1 IX at 56 Marietta, it’s a low overhead, colocation node on our high-speed optical network.
– 3,350 sq ft, expandable to 6,470 sq ft / 2x1M generators / Tier III redundancy / Carrier-neutral meshed 8.8Tbs private optical connectivity to ATL1 IX at 56 Marietta
Birmingham, AL – https://www.dcblox.com/data-centers/birmingham/
The Birmingham data center is located in downtown Birmingham near UAB’s campus and the Innovation Depot, with easy access from Birmingham Shuttlesworth Airport and I-65. It is a 31,000 square foot colocation facility and is phase 1 of our plan to develop a Technology and Innovation Campus that will drive the connected digital economy in Birmingham and all of Alabama.
– 31K sq ft, expandable to 200K sq ft / 5MW critical load, expandable to 60MW / Tier III N+1 generator backup, UPS, and cooling / Private, optical connectivity across the SE – 100% SLA
Chattanooga, TN – https://www.dcblox.com/data-centers/chattanooga/
The Chattanooga data center is Strategically located within 150 miles of major metropolitan areas, so surrounding cities like Atlanta, Knoxville and Nashville can benefit from Chattanooga’s Gig. Its location also makes it an ideal Disaster Recovery site to businesses in nearby cities.
– 8K sq ft, expandable to 16K sq ft / 1 MW critical load, expandable to 3.5MW / Tier III N+1 generator backup, UPS, and cooling / Private, optical connectivity across the SE – 100% SLA
Huntsville, AL – https://www.dcblox.com/data-centers/huntsville/
Huntsville is the fastest growing metro in Alabama with a strong industry base in government, manufacturing, healthcare and professional services. Located near Redstone Arsenal, the Marshall Space Flight Center and Cummings Research Park, DC BLOX serves the needs of the Huntsville business community with a secure Tier 3 colocation facility equipped with high-speed connectivity to Internet Exchanges, other DC BLOX data centers and public cloud providers.
– 9K sq ft, expandable to 52K sq ft / 1.5MW critical load, expandable to 13.5MW / Tier III N+1 generator backup, UPS, and cooling / Private, optical connectivity across the SE – 100% SLA
Greenville, SC – https://www.dcblox.com/data-centers/greenville/
The DC BLOX Greenville data center will be located in the Global Business Park off of I-85 and less than 2 miles from the Clemson University International Center for Automotive Research. The data center, designed to Uptime Institute’s Tier III standards, is the first-of-its-kind multi-tenant data center located in South Carolina.
– Up to 54K sq ft of data hall space / 1.5MW critical load, expandable to 16.5MW / Tier III N+1 generator backup, UPS, and cooling / Private optical connectivity across the SE – 100% SLA
Myrtle Beach, SC – Cable Landing Station – https://www.dcblox.com/data-centers/myrtle-beach-sc-cable-landing-station/
In partnership with global hyperscale partners, DC BLOX is redefining the hyperscale Cable Landing Station (CLS) with its new facility in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, set to open in the second quarter of 2023. The Myrtle Beach CLS will be located in the International Technology & Aerospace Park (ITAP).
DC BLOX LEADERSHIP TEAM
The DC BLOX leadership team is comprised of seasoned entrepreneurs, service providers and technology innovators with a fervent desire to change the data center and connectivity landscape in the southeastern United States. With over 200 years of combined experience in data center, networking, cloud, and managed services, we share a passion for building data centers with the services needed to meet the advanced IT needs of today’s growing enterprises, hyperscale customers and beyond. https://www.dcblox.com/leadership/
RECENTLY IN THE NEWS
Sept 2023 – New Myrtle Beach subsea cable – Meet Nuvem
August 2023 – INC 5000 – Third Year in a Row
SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT DATA CENTER CONSTRUCTION
DC BLOX is entering a new chapter of growth enabling hyperscale edge single tenant and multi-tenant data center solutions. The Company builds new, Tier III-designed, state-of-the-art data centers fully connected by high-speed, low-latency private networks throughout major and emerging markets across the Southeast. DC BLOX continues to stand out as a unique pure-play data center operator focused on hyperscale and large enterprise customers in the southeast.
The Senior Vice President, Data Center Construction (SVPDCC) will leverage his/her expertise with the executive team to build and expand high-quality, hyperscale single tenant and multi-tenant data center facilities into a world class platform. He/She will oversee and manage data center construction and be intimately aware of construction, commissioning, operations, and sustainability goals of all DC BLOX data center facilities to include:
– Lead the identification and management of key General Contractor relationships in building out and augmenting our data center properties.
– Coordinate and plan supply chain activities, participating with VP Design & Engineering, in the management of major vendor relationships.
– Participate with design and engineering teams to ensure seamless delivery of new inventory.
– Participate with the executive team to continuously support new revenue growth requirements.
– Lead the land diligence efforts in qualifying potential new data center properties.
– Participate in facility diligence efforts in support of potential M&A opportunities.
– Develop and implement construction best practices; incorporate operating standards into security and operations practices.
– Identify process improvement and value engineered cost savings in constructing data center facilities.
– Lead and be held accountable for the construction of data center facilities against plan.
– Manage and positively influence key customer relationships, vendors, and partners in the build, procurement, commissioning, and turnover to Data Center Operations.
– Interface and align with corporate and local operations personnel to ensure delivery of appropriately designed customer solutions and to ensure quality-of-service delivery.
– Provide input into the annual corporate capital and expense budgeting and planning process.
– Continually seek industry and market information to provide DC BLOX with the knowledge necessary for further business development.
– Understands and practices performance management disciplines.
KNOWLEDGE & COMPETENCIES
The SVPDCC is expected to be both a data center subject matter expert and a business executive. Technical product knowledge in electrical and mechanical systems, building systems (BIM), DCIM, controls, contracts, and project management is expected. Executive characteristic and communication demands include:
– Explain the relevancy of information to executive team and board of directors.
– Plan, organize, and implement the delivery of major projects. Anticipate risk factors and identify issues in advance of critical problems developing.
– Perform well under crisis management.
– Negotiate effectively and command the respect of general contractors and vendors.
– Understand and implement preventive and predictive maintenance procedures.
– Solid analytical and decision-making skills to evaluate complex problems, including analyzing, comparing, and selecting the best solution for various circumstances.
–Strong understanding of data center design and construction practice and how it impacts delivery and SLA agreements.
– Financial acumen including the ability to create and understand budgets, financial analysis, and invoicing.
– Prioritize work based on business and customer demands, articulate concepts and ideas to a non-technical audience, and lead customer-requested business reviews and audits.
– Strong understanding of design characteristics, installation, and operation of all data center infrastructure systems including electrical, mechanical, life safety, controls, and security.
– Responsible attitude, ability to take initiative and ownership, and adapt in a fast-paced environment.
– Requires occasional to weekly travel to data center construction projects, partners, and customer locations.
KEY QUALIFYING CRITERIA
Data Center Construction – Evaluate the breadth and complexity of data center environments involved with.
- Provide project examples of the different projects you’ve been involved with. What is your philosophy on where data center construction is headed? What’s the roadmap?
- Track record of delivering data center build and expansion projects on schedule and on budget.
- Demonstrated command of the design-build theatre of engineers, contractors, suppliers, labor, safety, security, audit, and public / municipal authorities
Business Acumen – Growth oriented commercial disposition with innovative thought leadership and nuanced understanding of P&L, human capital leverage, resource allocation, and technology utilization.
Financial Acumen – Experience in a data center real estate invested environment with requirements for investor rates of return, asset acquisition, and platform standardization for value creation.
Executive Leadership – Demonstrated history of leading a team to consistently perform at or above plan. Share some examples of professional growth of talent from those who have worked on your teams.
Culture – Alignment of core values with DC BLOX’s vision, mission, and guiding principles which lead to excellence, fairness, and justice in the workplace. Compare and contrast cultures in which you’ve worked in the past.
WHY CONSIDER THIS OPPORTUNITY WITH DC BLOX
Impact – An opportunity to put your fingerprint on a formidable growth chapter of an established yet emerging company poised for continued growth and scale. The SVP, Data Center Construction will dramatically impact the revenue growth and set the stage for DC BLOX rate of growth trajectory.
Leadership – DC BLOX’s executive teams’ precedent success and credentials growing successful businesses together rival anyone’s in the industry. The confidence in the success this organization can provide to existing and prospective customers is a rare find.
Focus – DC BLOX’s success is a result of an intense commitment to empower digital commerce, connect, and collaborate across organizations in the Southeast. They are well-positioned to capitalize on this expansion and deliver state-of-the-art data centers and network to metro markets.
Financial Strength – DC BLOX has secured funding by Bain Capital and Post Road Group to finance credit facilities, add liquidity to the balance sheet, and fund additional capacity in existing and new data centers.
Culture – DC BLOX’s culture embodies the dynamics of a start-up, with opportunities for every single person to define their contribution to progress of the organization. This requires creative, confident, forward-thinking professionals who solve problems rather than wait for answers.
Compensation package for the SVPDCC is comprised of a competitive base salary, annual performance bonus, and long-term incentive compensation in the form of equity participation. A comprehensive benefits program to Include medical, dental, optical, and pharmaceutical, and 401K participation is also included.
CFS Partners makes formal candidate recommendations following a situation and Interest call, receipt of resume, and a more formal Interview to address Key Qualifying Criteria specific to EVP Development, Mark Masi. Initial calls with Mark will qualify a short list of candidates to meet with other members of the Senior Leadership Team … either via videoconference and/or in person. A finalist will be selected and offer extended, the acceptance of which will be contingent upon positive references and background check.