For nearly 20 years, CPG has been a pioneer in the data center industry, providing full lifecycle mission-critical infrastructure solutions to some of the world’s most demanding Fortune 1000 companies.
CPG solutions deliver the electrical and environmental products and services needed to efficiently and reliably power, protect, and operate the most mission-critical facilities on Earth. From design, integration, and commissioning, to monitoring, staffing and maintenance, CPG offers the synergy of focused expertise and personalized service combined with a holistic understanding of the entire critical infrastructure ecosystem.
- Full Lifecycle Critical Infrastructure Solutions
- Comprehensive line of power and cooling products and services
- Subject matter experts in the mission-critical arena
- Single source provider
- Personalized service, responsiveness, knowledge and trust
- Represent various OEM’s to market and sell power products for regional users
- Expanding the availability of products and services
Originally a manufacturer’s representative focused on product sales, CPG has grown into THE full-spectrum data center solution. With roots in the Electrical and Mechanical side of the business and a foundation of exceptional service, CPG searched the industry for the most innovative and exceptional minds across the industry and now also offers expertise across all areas of data center infrastructure development and maintenance.
MISSION AND VISION
CPG’S mission is to reach beyond what is expected and deliver next-generation solutions and exceptional service across the full lifecycle of critical infrastructure.
CPG’s vision is to be a trusted partner and innovator, providing insight, solutions and service that ensure the growth and success of our partners not just today, but into the future. And to continue to grow our company by recognizing and respecting the importance of relationships.
- Trust – with/between employees, client partners and vendor partners
- Respect – for our employees, our clients, our vendors
- Relationships – we care about them and foster them
- Partnership – bring together respect and relationships to ensure everyone feels like a meaningful partner
- Experience and Expertise – we hire the best and it is reflected in what we do
- Safety – for our staff and vendors
- Integrity – be honest, be real, be accountable
- Leadership – the desire and ability to shape the direction of the future
- Intelligence – Both Human and AI, and its ability to provide solutions that not only overcome the challenges in the industry, but also move us into the future.
CPG’S LEADERSHIP TEAM
Columbia Capital was founded over 30 years ago and over time has developed a profitable and repeatable investment model, guided by a specialized and experienced team. We’ve focused exclusively on the CMT space, and we use our experience and insights to proactively initiate and develop many of our new investments internally. Columbia professionals typically formulate new investments by identifying a compelling trend or unique asset(s), in partnership with a leading executive team.
Alongside management, we develop an execution plan where the required equity capital can be invested in stages, as the business develops scale. This process is similar to whether it pertains to a new business that is created in the domain of Enterprise IT, Mobility, or Internet Infrastructure. Regardless of the sector or the specific opportunity, by taking this approach, we’re usually able to buy in at attractive valuations and fund our companies in a success-based manner. Our unique approach allows us to drive attractive investment returns with relatively low mortality and capital impairment.
Columbia has a cohesive team of partners with a similar investment philosophy. The team has deep CMT roots with an average of 20 years of industry experience, including participation in both principal investing and operational roles in the sector. Over this time, the team has succeeded through different economic and market cycles, has seen industry patterns emerge, and has tracked the career trajectory of many of the current and future portfolio company executives from early in their career.
Originally started in 2000 as Capitol Power, Inc., Capitol Power Group has greatly expanded over the last decade. To reflect this growth, in 2017 we decided to change our name to CPG.
Originally a manufacturer’s representative focused on product sales, CPG has grown into THE full-spectrum data center solution. With roots in the Electrical and Mechanical side of the business and a foundation of exceptional service, CPG searched the industry for the most innovative and exceptional minds across the industry and now also offers expertise in White Space solutions, IT/IDIQ, SCADA and ICS.
Our 18 years have seen exponential growth in not only offerings and expanding regional offices, but also expert staff, premier partnerships (including Schneider, E&I, and Hanley), and some impressive contracts (both domestic and international), including a $50MM Cloud HQ project.
We’ve built our company from the ground up and we are still growing. Let us put that know-how and drive to work for you and your business.
ADDITIONAL COMPANY NEWS ARTICLES
September 2018 – The Five Benefits of Modular Container Design
SENIOR DIRECTOR OF SAFETY
CPG is a leading builder of North Americas most distinguished and high-profile data center construction and engineering projects. CPG specializes in a wide variety of project types, from large, ground up greenfield construction mandates to whatever retrofit requirements their clients require to expand and grow. CPG offers cutting-edge methods and technologies that deliver significant value to every project.
Reporting to the CEO, the Senior Director of Safety (SDS) works with leadership in establishing oversight, strategy, process, and culture to ensure compliance with safety and environmental procedures and ensure the safety of all CPG’s and partner’s personnel. The SDS will set and articulate how CPG creates a culture of “Safety First” in the construction and service industry to external clients and stakeholders. He/She will develop and implement safety protocols and programs for each of CPG’s unique projects and solutions. This requires the SDS to visit field construction projects to conduct safety program audits and report findings to the CEO and executive leadership team. He/she will track key metrics for all projects and teams to ensure overall company targets are met, create safety training programs for continual employee advancement in OSHA certification, and manage 3rd party safety vendors to ensure safety standards are maintained.
- Author, own, and lead CPG to a leading edge, world class Safety Program which exceeds client requirements and contributes to CPG’s competitive advantage.
- Direct the development, support, deployment, monitoring, and review of standards and management of Safety & Risk Management programs across North American sites.
- Provide qualitative, timely and professional subject matter expertise and business support to ensure a safe, sustainable, and legally compliant work environment.
- Direct the development and deployment of Corporate Safety programs and management systems to ensure compliance with company and legal obligations.
- Provide direction to executives, senior and line management, contract management, and other personnel to ensure operations are sustainable and comply with client requirements.
- Plan, develop, and coordinate the safety and occupational component of personnel, materials, equipment, and environment in a manner consistent with mandated regulations and company policies.
- Provide professional oversight, technical guidance, training, and support to a broad portfolio of geographically dispersed construction projects as you mentor site safety managers, lead safety audit efforts, and champion the implementation of safety initiatives.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- In consultation with appropriate stakeholder groups, direct the design, development, deployment, monitoring & review of Safety processes and programs
- Ensure integration of Safety systems, processes and programs with CPG operations, clients’ expectations, and legislative requirements.
- Develop, plans and strategies to meet Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and deliverables.
- Direct the implementation, monitoring, and review of Safety systems through yearly governance plans, audits and inspections, and management systems reviews.
- Monitor compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local legislation and codes governing environmental health and safety regulations and guidelines.
- Assess adherence to critical facility work rules, safety procedures, and potential risk of existing operations and new business opportunities.
- Develop and deploy incident investigation protocols, including data analysis and incident prevention (loss control) programs and procedures.
- Visit job sites to conduct safety audits on personnel, equipment, and materials. Responds and provides direct assistance to sites in emergency situations.
- Supports relationships with clients and other stakeholders for purposes of Safety systems interface and deployment.
- Ensure compliance with all regulatory bodies and standards (including OSHA, EPA, etc.).
- Be present and set an example by modeling the required behaviors in the workplace, and hold others (employees and peers) accountable for their actions by identifying and acting on behavior which is inconsistent with agreed-upon standards.
- Comply with CPG’s Environmental policies, adhere to procedures and work instructions that are relevant to their activities and operate in a manner that will minimize any adverse environmental impacts associated with their activities.
- Research safety regulations and policies and institute changes to ensure compliance.
- Create and enforce MOPs, SOPs, EOPs and other technical reports and procedures.
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- 10+ years’ construction safety experience, ideally with mission critical buildings.
- Ability to train, influence and motivate team members.
- Experience writing JHAs, SOPs, EOPs, MOPS, Hazcom, technical reports and procedures.
- OSHA certification and knowledge of EPA standards regarding services and construction.
- Outstanding customer relations history reflected by excellent and extensive written and oral communications history.
- Command and conviction to make decisions independently and quickly when required.
- Ability to manage projects and conflicting priorities while implementing and enforcing repeatable systems and best practices.
- Planning, organizing and time management skills to establish project priorities and ensure required tasks are completed on time and within budget
- Conceptual, analytical and problem-solving skills to enable the identification of issues and the judgment to determine appropriate courses of action for achieving long-range organizational goals
- Initiative to identify and ensure that appropriate actions are taken to achieve goals
- Ability to make independent decisions. Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to travel when required, not anticipated to exceed 30%.
- Must be a US citizen and able to hold and maintain a security clearance.
KEY QUALIFYING CRITERIA
Breadth – Demonstrated history of develop and implement operational Safety systems applicable to a variety of construction projects and environments.
Impact – History of making a difference in the development, maintenance, and execution of corporate safety initiatives.
Knowledge – Deep subject matter expert with the ability to develop an understanding of each key client requirements and customize the Safety function to support their needs.
Discipline – History of defining and adhering to Key Performance Indicators and Deliverables as determined by and in cooperation with CPG and Client leadership. Ensure systems are being adhered to through a rigorous auditing and inspection regime.
Relevance – Prior development, execution, and/or participation in the promotion and adoption of Safety as a priority in the workplace, at project sites, and with clients and contractors.
Ambassador – Ambition to promote safety as a core value and priority in the workplace, demonstrated by a progressive career and continuing education and credentials achievement.
WHY CONSIDER THIS OPPORTUNITY WITH CPG
Kerosene – CPG has the design, construction, and operations excellence to scale as an organization at this time. The SDS will ensure CPG’s growth rate never compromises the welfare of anyone working on any of their multiple, concurrent, geographically dispersed projects.
Capital – CPG’s Board and ownership have convened to agree on the investment necessary to support the growth plan necessary to achieve desired corporate valuation. Columbia Capital’s track record of supporting similar growth initiatives is remarkable.
Success – CPG maintains highly referenceable credibility with their customers and consistently deliver projects on time and budget. An experienced Safety executive with experience developing, executing, and articulating safety programs add to this credibility.
Culture – CPG is emerging from a chapter of integration and has built a foundation of operational, procedural, and process excellence resulting in a pride of ownership and confidence for the years ahead.
Chapter – After 15 years of consistent success, CPG is entering a new chapter of market opportunity realization. The global data center market is growing unabated and CPG is poised for remarkable growth supporting existing clients while entering new verticals and markets.
The Senior Director of Safety’s compensation package is expected to include a competitive base salary (relative to market and candidate’s current situation), annual performance compensation, and robust health benefits program. Employees have the option of choosing from affordable, employer sponsored medical coverage options, for themselves and their dependents with coverage beginning on the date of hire. The following benefits are currently offered:
- Inclusion in CPG 40lk Plan managed by American Funds. CPG provides a direct contribution equal to 3% of your compensation that is 100% vested (up to IRS employer limitations) regardless of participation
- Medical coverage – A choice of 8 medical plans
- Dental and Vision Insurance – Employee portion paid by CPG
- Disability insurance (Short Term/Long Term) and Life Insurance provided and paid for by CPG.
- Adoption assistance program
- Educational assistance program
- Commuter benefits program
- Learning and development curriculum
Following a thorough exchange of information relating to company information, resume, and key qualifying criteria, CFS Partners anticipates recommending a short list of candidates to Tom Mertz, CEO the last week in August in anticipation of a target start date in September. SDS candidates will also meet with Al Nielsen, SVP Data Center Implementation, and Chris Oberkfell, EVP Services Integration, and with select members of the leadership team.